Modern French 'Specimen' overprints

• MMorck

8 messages

United Kingdom

Hello all!

I would like to ask if anybody knows the official purpose/use of the circular 'specimen' overprints on more modern French stamps (see example attached).

Were they applied for publicity purposes BEFORE the stamps were issued or AFTER they were discontinued?

Thanks for the help!

Ashley
  • worldphila

318 messages

Israel

Hello all!

I would like to ask if anybody knows the official purpose/use of the circular 'specimen' overprints on more modern French stamps (see example attached).

Were they applied for publicity purposes BEFORE the stamps were issued or AFTER they were discontinued?

Thanks for the help!

Ashley
    • Created on 8 Jun 2024 at 21:29
    It's better to send your question to the Delcampe French forum.
  • soussou

516 messages

France

Hello all!

Thanks for the help!

Ashley
    • Created on 8 Jun 2024 at 21:29
    Hi, I have been through a document which states that those stamps were canceled prior to be sent to post offices for advertisement purposes on recent issues. Also said some were sent to regular schools under a joint program (Education/Posts). Whereas the cancel was put before or after, my guess is that it was put after the issuance of the regular stamps. Hope this helps.

Join the collectors community

Register Login